Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The Mojo Lives On

Kristen pointed out yesterday:

When all was said and done, when the smoke had cleared, everyone who started the day on the roster, remained there. Everyone went to sleep last night secure – for the first time in weeks – that the 2005 Red Sox roster still boasted Bronson Arroyo, Kevin Youkilis, Bill Mueller and Manny Ramirez. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I slept pretty well last night.

Amen to dat.
My mother and I might look like reasonably sane people on the outside.
But that would not be clear to anyone listening to us on the Amtrak train back from the Cape on Sunday.
Listening intently, nee, desparately, to the sports updates on WFAN to make sure that Billy Mueller had not been traded.
We put off grocery shopping until the trade deadline had passed. For we were not to be denied. Billy Mueller was to remain our third basemen, goddamnit.
(I really think my mother might have done something violent to Theo had it gone the other way.)

And though most of the String Bean/Burnett trade talk had died down by the weekend, there was the evil little voice in the back of my head.
Fortunately, my favorite t-shirt is not vintage, not yet.
My boy is present and accounted for.

I love all the Red Sox, but my love for Bronson is a step above. I can't quite explain it . It happened earlier this season, when he was the rock of the rotation, turning out start after quality start. Looking like the unlikeliest person to do so, with those golden curls, and the legume thin frame. That is when the Vegetable Mojo was born.
And then there was the near no-hitter in May. It has reached mythical status, if only in my own mind. If he could do that, he could do anything.
For he is my Bronson, my B, my String Bean.
And he's starting at Fenway tomorrow, and all is right with the world.

Now, it is time to start it up. All distractions, eliminated.
It's time to get down to business.